This Blog Is:

A weekly (one hopes) short fictions blog, updating on Mondays

Monday, September 27, 2010

King Ethelred IV Part 4

It wasn’t until the next day that the court and its entourage were ready to depart. Albert and his lord were the first in position by virtue of his lord sleeping in the carriage with his latest concubine. Albert had hoped that she would have left by the time it came to leave, but it turned out that she was even more indolent than his lord and remained in the bed of the carriage (especially outfitted at the lord’s insistence) even longer than he could abide. Albert’s lord emerged, and sat on the buck board next to his man servant and said, “I am defeated, there is no way that woman will leave my bed, and now I fear that she may be fixing to wed me.”

Albert thought this would probably be for the best, but he dared not say as much. Instead, he said, “mayhap we can leave her at the Summer Keep, or leave her in the arms of another, more suited to marriage than yourself.”

“Excellent plan, Albert! I feel refreshed.” He cocked his head to the side and listened to the sounds of stirring within the carriage, and continued, “If you’ll excuse me, I believe she will be ready for another round.” Albert’s smile of encouragement quickly faded to disgust as the noises grew louder and the carriage began to rock rhythmically.

No comments:

Post a Comment